Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sleep-- What is the ideal amount

Sleep- the natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored (Webster). With our well packed lifestyles, I am not too sure if we are even allowing our selves that periodic suspension of consciousness. I would like to think that there is an important thing about sleep than how long we sleep, but how well we sleep, do we fall right into sleep and when we wake up do we feel that we need more sleep? I think even if we get less 6 hours of sleep if we can convince our selves that it is enough, we will realize that we could live with less sleep, I think if we tire our selves during the day we should sleep well that night. Does running around make us tired or do we tired working with our minds, which part of the body needs rest, its different for different people but I think if we spend time to understand how we want to rest, I think we would sleep better over time.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I agree. I think when I'm tired, mostly it's that I talk myself into being tired.

I do think that it depends what part of your sleep cycle you wake up on. If you wake up at the end, you feel more rested. Or sometimes, you sleep 15 hours, but you still feel exhausted.

In college, I ran ok on 5-6 hours of sleep. I was tired, but I could make it. Now, if I get less than 8, I'm DYING! Does age play any role in sleep I wonder? It seems like older people sleep less... but I keep getting tired as I age.

In my opinion, you feel rested based on where you woke up in your sleep cycle.

Should I have a podcast?

Cassie said...

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to monitor your sleep cycles from some device? Then after you sleep you can put the graphs on your computer.