Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I can see the other side

I know why people wouldn't breastfeed their babies. It's hard.
Right now I'm having some pain because Luke bit me the other day. I'm wondering if it's a clogged duct now? Or an infection? Or just soreness from where he bit me? It hurts a lot now when ever he nurses.
I've had almost every possible thing while breastfeeding Luke. I've had Mastitis, Thrush, Clogged Duct here and there, cracked and sore nipples. Luckily, most things I've only had once. I got mastitis the second day after we took Luke home from the hospital. I felt a little run down and feverish. I took my temperature, 102.7... Whoa! That's not so good after having a baby. I called my midwives and they wanted me to go to ER to rule out any kid of other infection. Long story short, I was there for 6 hours in the night because it was so busy. Next was Thrush which I had when Luke was 4 months old. It was horrible, it was like starting all over. I was sore and had to pump a lot. Now I have this. I'm not even sure what it is.
But, if I could go back, would I have just done formula? No way! Not only have I given Luke the best thing for him, we have created such a bond through nursing. I wouldn't trade it for the world. But can I see why someone would give up? Yes I can, breastfeeding is hard!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am hoping to have an easy experience like my sister had (she had NO issues with him latching on, supply, any infections, etc...It was a cakewalk for her. I can see giving up if one thing after another happens like that- but it drives me crazy when people say they didn't breastfeed because the baby didn't latch on the first time and they never try again.

Cassie said...

yeah, you know when I was pregnant, I really didn't even know that people didn't breastfeed unless they adopted, or some other extra ordinary circumstance. And people always asked me 'are you going to breastfeed?' I was like, uh yeah, I thought everyone did LOL. I guess not. Yeah, it sucks when people give up. I can see why they do... especially when they have no support and lots of pain. I don't know what I would do if Ben wasn't so supportive, especially in the early days, at 3 am, when it hurt. I hope you have a great experience. How was your sister's labor? Did she do it natural or have pain medicine or c-section? I know lots of people would argue with this thought, but I've read somethings saying that a natural birth w/ out anything (pain meds etc) makes for easier breastfeeding. I wonder if it's true... I had a long labor and a couple different pain meds and petocin. So I'm wondering what it'll be like next time?

Unknown said...

I actually know more people that DON'T breastfeed than those that do. It is pretty common in our neck of the woods to go straight to formula, which I think is pretty sad. My sister was induced so she had cervadil, pitocin and then an epidural.

Cassie said...

huh well there goes the theory. Yeah, I guess breastfeeding is normal here since everyone is all natural and hippie lol

Lisa C said...

My early months of breastfeeding were so much like yours. However, I know few women who had it that hard that kept going. For me, formula was never an option--I just kept looking at the larger picture. And in hindsight, even if we never made it this far, every day of pain was worth it. I can see the other side, too, I just don't have the personality to give up!

Cassie said...

I know, when I think of how far i've made it I'm really proud of myself. Formula wasn't an option for me either because reading all I did I just wanted so badly to give Luke everything. I hope I can still make it as far as you! Way to go, over twenty months of successful breastfeeding! Whoo hoo!